Thursday, October 21, 2010

Improv Night!

The cool thing about TC is that they have a good number of free events on campus.  Just like when I went to the comedy night a few weeks ago, last night there was a similar event where they brought in members of The Upright Citizens Brigade to perform improv.  For those that don't know, this is, I'm fair sure, a very well known group in the world of improv.  There were two groups, both did what is called Long Form Improv (versus short form, which is what they do on "Whose Line is it Anyway?")  It was very good.  The only time I've ever seen long form performed was when we used to do a few long form games in improv club as an undergrad and, I'm only speaking for myself here, but I know I'm not very good at it haha.  So it was fun seeing the professionals in action.  I'm not sure what the name of the long form that the 2nd group did was but the first group did what is called a Harold, which (as I've been told by my friend) is the original and best form of long form improv.  It was basically made up of little vignettes, all centering on a similar topic.  It was very good actually.

On another note, today is my first day videotaping in the schools for my job!  I'm pretty nervous, but I think it will be okay.  I spent this week getting all of the equipment together and everything.  I also learned that TC has a Video Services office where students can check out video equipment and they also have a pool of freelance videographers that can be hired out for something like $35 an hour.  The person in charge of the office also showed me the recording studio they have set up.  Nobody really used it too much now because they don't have a full staff, but it used to be a fully functional tv recording studio and now they just use it for little projects.  He also has a music recording studio set up in the next room.  I think he was excited that I got so excited about the different capabilities of the room and I was telling him a little bit about my background with music and video recording and he seemed pretty impressed.  So that was cool :)

No comments:

Post a Comment