Sunday, March 29, 2015

Musical Weekend - It Shoulda Been You & Finding Neverland

Kari's sister and twin-in-law were visiting over the weekend!  And they kindly let me tag along with all of their show plans.  So I went to 2 musicals this weekend!  What fun!

First up - It Shoulda Been You


I didn't know a lot about this show going into it, but I was pleasantly surprised!  I wanted to see it because David Burtka is in it and he was just as excellent as I was expecting! The basic premise is this couple are getting married but the parents aren't super excited for it.  It actually started out, not bad exactly, but just not super new or exciting.  It was very predictable.  But then...there was a twist that I won't give away and the show got 10 times better!

The worst thing about seeing a show is that there aren't any good preview yet.  But here's a press event where Tyne Daly sings a funny song. She plays the mother of the bride.



Saturday morning I gave Kari and her family a break from me and Seth and I decided to get some culture and we ended up at The Museum of the City of New York.  It's a museum devoted to the history of NYC.  It was actually pretty fascinating to know more about where I live!


The stair wells had cool quotes in them
They had a video narrated by Stanley Tucci that went through 400 years of history.  There was a cool activism room which talked about activism throughout the eras. So everything from the dutch riots in the beginning of the city's history all the way through to Occupy Wall Street and the People's Climate March.

From the section on women's suffrage

From the section on the garment workers' strike

From the gay rights movement section
There was also a section on the gilded age of NY. They had all kinds of fancy jewelry and paintings on display.


The museum was great fun and interesting.  Then, after the museum but before the show, there were silly shenanigans!




It was soon time for Finding Neverland!  I was so looking forward to this. Matthew Morrison stars, and there was even Melanie Moore from So You Think You Can Dance!  Oh and Kelsey Grammer.


The story is based on the movie of the same name.  I loved the movie, and I also loved the musical.  It had such big booming numbers and you could tell they went all out on the set design.  I loved the combination of traditional big broadway numbers and the less conventional dance routines.  There was humor, there was good singing, and there was definitely emotion.  I definitely teared up towards the end.  I'm sure this is one I'll be seeing again!

This show is also still in previews, but here's a fun video of them in rehearsal.



I also really love this rendition of the Finding Neverland song sung by Matthew Morrison.



No comments:

Post a Comment