Monday, September 17, 2012

2 Shows 1 Weekend

This weekend was a lot of fun.  Kari's sister Katy and Katy's boyfriend were visiting and so I wandered around with them for a lot of it.  They waited in line on Friday and were able to get rush tickets to see Once. (You usually have to get in line around 6am or earlier to get tickets).  They were super nice and got me a ticket too!

Once was such a good musical.  I was a little surprised I liked it so much because mellow musicals are not usually my forté.  The show itself was so mesmerizing.  It was a little thin on plot, but this is the basic plot: Boy plays music but is sad and wants to give up on music and life. Girl comes in and shows him through music that life is worth living. Boy and Girl are happy again.

Yeah...plot left a little something to be desired.  But the real magic in the show is in the music and the movement on stage.  The actors are also the orchestra so the majority of the show is filled with music. Sometimes it was almost like interpretive dance in the way that they moved around with the music.


The other show I saw was Evita, which I also really liked.  Ricky Martin was in that one, and he is really really talented.  I don't think I quite realized, but it was fun to see him perform in person.  The ensemble were also really talented and the dancing was fun to watch.  The actress who played Eva Perón was talented, but it was a little hard to understand her when she went for the higher notes.  So I'm still not entirely sure what some of the lyrics throughout the show were.  I found a couple good videos for Evita so the first one is the trailer where you can hear Elena Roger sing part of "Don't Cry For Me Argentina" and the other is the Tony performance where you get a little more Ricky Martin.



We were waiting in line a long time so we ended up taking some fun pictures too :)




Other random adventures for the weekend:

Well this is before the weekend, but last week the tv show Smash was filming across the street from my office so I took a couple of pictures.  I think they were filming inside the theatre (hence the super bright lights aimed towards the closed windows)




I also went with the visitors to the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  One cool place we went to was up on the roof.  I had never been and the view was great!  They also had this strange art installation piece.


The art piece
I also was invited to Seth's parents' home for Rosh Hashanah on Sunday.  I ended up meeting a lot of his family and had a good time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment