Sunday, April 29, 2012

How do you catch a star?

This has definitely been a fun past few weeks.  I've also gotten back into my habit of seeing a different show every weekend :)  It makes me very happy.  So as I've already mentioned two weekends ago my name was called for the lottery for Newsies, one weekend ago my name was called for Book of Mormon.  And this weekend, get this, my name was called yet again!  My friend and I decided to try our luck for Peter and the Starcatcher.  I had picked up the book that this show is based on a couple weeks ago at a used bookstore and the book was so cute and I had heard such good things about the play that I really wanted to see it.  My friend humored me and went too even though she literally knew nothing about the show.



The basic plot of Peter and the Starcatcher is that it's supposed to be the prequel to Peter Pan in that it explains how this boy became Peter Pan and how Neverland came to be.  As I said, it 's based on a book, but the play is actually fairly different.  It's very tongue in cheek and at times very cheesy, but it was really funny and really well done.  One of the things the play does it that it takes a very minimalist approach to the sets, props, costumes, etc.  The actors become different props and you definitely have to use your imagination, but the actors and the staging is so brilliant that it still really comes alive.  One of the actors from the tv show Smash was also in it, and he was hysterical.

The only awful thing about the show is that there were these people sitting behind us who had THE MOST ANNOYING laughter in the history of laughter.  It was extremely shrill, loud, and constant.  But other than that the show was fantastic!

It's hard to find good clips from the show, but this should give you a good idea:



We also ended up going to the Hell's Kitchen Flea market. There is just about everything you could imagine there.  Mostly, though, it was nice to walk around in the sunshine and look at the various knick knacks people are selling.

The beginning of the flea market

We stopped for slurpees on the way home

And on a random side note, my other friend is moving to a new apartment soon and we went to go see it today.  I took a picture of the across the hall neighbor's door tag because it amused me.


No, I don't think she actually lives across the hall from Matthew Broderick...but wouldn't that be awesome!?

No comments:

Post a Comment