Saturday, September 25, 2010

Of Speakers and Comedians

Hi again :)

Well classes have been progressing as usual.  It feels like I've been here both forever and no time at all, which is kind of a strange experience.  It seems like I do so much every day that I have to have been here for years, not just weeks.  But it's all fun.  Grad school is so much better than Undergrad so far if not simply because almost everything I'm learning is fascinating and are things I actually really care about.

I think I'll start recently what I've been doing and work backwards today.  Just to spice things up ;-)

So yesterday (Friday) I met up with people in my Video Games class and we played the board game Settlers of Catan.  It's a hard game to explain, so I won't try, but if you haven't played it, it is quite fun.  Oh, I should mention that yes, playing this game was one of my homework assignments for the week.  Cool, right?   Then, a little later in the day, I hung out with James which was fun :)  (James is a friend from high school for those who don't already know him)  Then in the evening, I played board games with friends.  I was also productive on Friday and successfully passed online my Certificate of Completion of the National Institutes of Health Web-based training course "Protecting Human Research Participants".  It basically told me how to be ethical and follow the rules when researching using humans and since I'll be part of the research group for my job, I had to complete it.  I also have to go get fingerprinted for the same reason since I'll be in the schools, so I'm hoping to get that done on Monday hopefully.

Backing up to Thursday night, I had my seminar class.  The speaker/professor in charge, is a faculty member in my department and we talked about Multimodality and mobile culture.  It's kind of hard to explain.  But when that was over, there was a Comedy night on campus so I got to see a variety of comedians.  They were all pretty funny, but of course some were funnier than others.  And that's about all of the news for today!  This weekend is another homework weekend, plus I need to work on making sure all of the video equipment is up and functioning for my job.
I'll leave you today with a quote from an e-mail I received from the student senate here at TC.  It amused me greatly so I thought I'd share.  It may be pretty cheesy, but for the most part I actually kind of agree with it :)

"A reminder that Teachers College is a magic place; sort of like Hogwarts or "A Night At the Museum". There is magic in the walls of TC. It is an old magic that has touched many minds. Look Dewey's bust in the eyes. Tour the dungeon that is the commuter lounge. Make a wish at the wishing wall (upstairs from media services). Or just sit in an empty classroom and absorb the educating effect of the walls. The magical quality really is one of the best parts of this place."

1 comment:

  1. I totally understand about the relative time aspect of graduate school. It seems like I have been here forever, and yet still have barely begun.

    Settlers of Catan is a very fun game. An even more fun game that y'all should play is Carcassonne. It is awesome because the strategy involves not only your pieces, but also outwitting the other participants. It is something that totally devious Laura loves! ;-)

    Gotta love the NIH and IRBs. Hope the training was sufficiently mind numbing and obvious! Glad to hear that things are going well for you. Hope you have a fun and productive weekend.

    ReplyDelete