Sunday, April 26, 2015

Daddy/Daughter Adventures

Picking up dad from the airport!

My dad came out last week to see me!  He flew out just for a few days so we could visit and have an adventure in the city.  So here are a few of our adventures!

My dad ended up staying at the Hotel Edison in Times Square and I got to crash.  That meant 1) we got even more hang out time and 2) the two days I worked (I took a couple of days off as well) I was able to walk to work and didn't have to leave until about 9:15am.

When he got here on Sunday, I met him at the airport and then we took the LIRR back to the city, got all checked in, and found a spot for dinner. Dessert took place at The Rum House, the little bar attached to the hotel.  A certain sleepy dad then may have fallen asleep around 6pm.



I don't even remember what this drink was -
but it was delicious!
I worked on Monday, so dad had his own adventures with a trip to the Met Museum, a peek around Grand Central, and a lot of walking!  When I got out of work, I met him and a friend for a quick drink at this place called Parker and Quinn.  We then stayed at the same place for dinner.  It was delicious!

I had chicken and fries - dad had the steak

Flour-less chocolate cake for dessert

Hi!
Tuesday I took the day off of work.  After some breakfast at a diner on the upper west side and a quick trip to my apartment, we were off to our first show!

The Easter Bonnet Competition is one of the fundraisers for Broadway Cares/Equity Fights Aids. Various Broadway shows and organizations put together skits and also have to make a giant easter bonnet. The winners get crowned both for presentation and bonnet. There are also awards given out for the shows who raised the most money during this collection season.  I've seen clips on youtube before, but never actually gotten to go (due to the fact that it's always during the work day). This was a perfect opportunity to go and I loved it!  The skits were so much fun to watch and the whole event was basically one giant love-fest with the theatre community.




I couldn't pick just one video so here is an assortment of videos that Broadway Cares put up on their youtube page from the event.

Behind the Scenes:



The really awesome dance done by cast members of various touring shows:



The Lion King parody presentation by the cast of Avenue Q:



And finally, a montage to round things out:



That wasn't the end of our shows, however.  After the excitement of Easter Bonnets we met up with Kari to first have dinner and then go see On the Twentieth Century.  Of course I had to take my dad to Virgil's since he had never been.


Nachos - a Virgil's staple

Cool glass window on display at the theatre


On The Twentieth Century is a mad cap comedy musical about a bunch of people on a train.  Oh yeah and it starred Kristen Chenowith who is amazing.  The best way I can describe this show is that it was a really great production of a dumb show.  The plot was pretty ridiculous but the actors were amazing, the sets and costumes were great, and the overall production value was a lot of fun.  So all in all, I enjoyed it!

Here's a little taste of the show.



On Wednesday I took Dad to the Museum of the Moving Image in Queens.  I have to say, it's one of my favorite museums. I just love how interactive it is, plus it's really interesting to see all the props and costumes and other film items they have on display.

In the 70's room

Gotta love the shag on the wall

Dad doing some voiceover work

I think he's found his calling!
One of the interactive bits you can do is do some voiceover work from famous clips.  Dad did a clip from Some Like It Hot and I did My Fair Lady.  It was pretty silly!



After our museum adventures we wandered around Manhattan some more.  Dad wanted to see the food network building so we went to Chelsea Market and walked around. It's just a bunch of fun shops but in a very cool building.

Cool waterfall into a well

I love the lights down the hall of the building


After our wanderings it was time for one more show.  The Visit starring Chita Rivera.  It was really neat to see such a Broadway legend on stage.  This will also probably be her last show so it was great to get to see.

The set was really interesting as well
The Visit is a very weird macabre musical based on an old German play.  Basically, the richest woman in the world returns to the town where she grew up. The town is desolate and pleads with her to help save them. She offers them a lot of money, but in exchange they must kill the man who was her lover and wronged her when she was 17.  The whole thing was very strange but I also thought it was wonderful.  I liked how they used the color yellow throughout and there was a coffin on stage that they sat on and moved around on.  It's a really hard show to explain because of how weird it was, but I'm really glad I got to see it!

Here's Chita singing one of her numbers.



Then early Thursday morning Dad caught a flight back to the opposite coast.  I think we had quite the  adventure in such a short amount of time. Thanks for coming to see me Dad!! ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment