Wednesday, February 12, 2014
After Midnight
Last night I saw After Midnight on Broadway. I don't even have words for how much I enjoyed this performance. After Midnight is a musical review and a love letter to Harlem's jazz age. So it didn't have a plot but was just a bunch of jazz songs. The band was great, I think it was mostly made up of all stars from Jazz at Lincoln Center, the singing was fabulous but my favorite part was the dancing, which was incredible. There was tap, and upbeat jazz dance, and the whole show was, in a nutshell, plain old fun.
The other fun part of the show was the cast. Dulé Hill was in it. I know him from his role on the USA show Psych, plus he's a fantastic dancer and tapper. It was also the first night that k. d. lang was in the show. Before her Fantasia (from American Idol fame) was in the show but to tell the truth, from the video footage I've seen I think I prefer k. d. lang. I don't know that much about her, I'm mostly just heard her name, but she seriously had the most amazing voice and it was a pleasure to see her in the show. Plus, she looked like she was having a lot of fun. The funniest part was at the end during the curtain calls, all at once reporters came down into the aisles to take pictures since it was her opening night. So keep in mind in the video below when Fantasia sings, that isn't who I saw.
This is a little preview into the show and the incredible dancing:
This video is also a look at the show, but gives more of the spoken word that kind of strung all of the shows together.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment