Saturday, December 3, 2011

Thanksgiving Weekend!

Well I'm about a week late in updating, but I've been working very diligently on my thesis and I've had a lot of work stuff to accomplish.  But here is my Thanksgiving Update!  (PS.  It will be kind of long I'm sure)  I think I'll break this post up by day since there is so much to say.

THURSDAY:
First of all:  Thanksgiving Day.  This marks the first Thanksgiving that I haven't spent with family, and the 2nd I've spent without my parents.  Actually there was probably one Thanksgiving I spent in Colorado without family or my parents but I was in Colorado so it felt like home.  But anyway, this year my friend Stacey came up from DC (partially to celebrate with me, but really just so we could see a concert that Sunday).  One of the professors I work for invited me to her house for dinner, which was really sweet of her.  So Stacey and I went and it was a very nice dinner :)

FRIDAY:


On Friday night we saw The Judy Show in order to preview it for my dad.  It's this little off-broadway one woman show starring Judy Gold.  She's a comedian and the show was basically her life as a Jewish-lesbian-mother of 2.  She talked about all the sitcoms she loved growing up and how her life was or was not like them, and also how she still wanted to pitch her own sitcom about her life.  I thought it was pretty funny because I got most of the tv show references.  It kept me laughing during the show, but is not a show I'd go see again.

SATURDAY:
On Saturday we tried twice to get lottery tickets to The Book of Mormon, but to no avail.  So instead we went to see the new Muppet movie!  I thought it was super cute, but what can I say? I love the Muppets!!!











SUNDAY:
Now Sunday was an awesome, and I do mean an AWESOME day.  Sunday was the day of the Starkid concert!  Overall the concert was a blast and we had soooo much fun. It was a long tiring day though.  Basically the show started at 4pm, the doors opened at 3pm for the general admission line, and opened at 2:30pm for the VIP line (which was us!).  So we ended up getting in line about 2pm. The show itself didn't end up being over until 8pm!!  Now for those of you who haven't done the math yet....that is 6 hours!  Of standing!  Needless to say we were exhausted after the concert but I still had such an amazing time.

I suppose I should say a bit about what Starkid is.  It's a little hard to explain.  Basically Darren Criss (who plays Blaine on Glee and who I'm slightly in love with haha) started this group with his friends at University of Michigan when they were in college.  One of their first productions that rocketed them into stardom was A Very Potter Musical, which is basically a full length musical parody stage show that they filmed and then put on youtube.  Unfortunately the sound quality is pretty bad, but it's a hysterical show and really cool because the whole thing was written, directed, acted, produced, choreographed, sung, etc by this group of college students!  Now they have relocated their theatre group to Chicago and have since produced several other musicals that they also put on youtube.  They are all super talented and I'm very impressed with them.

I think I'm going to describe the concert first and then I'll put all the pictures at the end of the post.  So the first thing we did once we got to go inside is they lined us all up and gave us a poster, lanyard, and a program.  Then we waited in line where all the Starkid folks were seated at a table and we could just go down the line getting them to sign our posters.  It was awesome!  They all seemed really cool and were honestly enjoying talking to fans.  The other cool thing is that Darren Criss was there!!  He wasn't actually supposed to be at the Sunday show, though he did appear at the 2 Sat shows and the 2 shows on Friday that were in Boston.  Stacey and I were bummed when we couldn't get tickets to the Saturday show, but it didn't matter because we still got to see Darren Criss!!!

So I got my poster signed and then we went to stand by the stage.  We were about 5 rows of people back, which was very very close and I could see (for the most part) really well.  The first out was Charlene Kaye, who is a friend of theirs and is also working on her own records and music.  She's really good actually.  I preferred seeing her live than her music videos.  But here's one of her music videos she did with Darren Criss if you're interested:



After Charlene Kaye, Darren Criss came out and performed a mini-set of just a couple of songs.  That was fun because I was sooo much closer to the stage than when I saw him perform a few months ago.  He is so talented.

After Darren Criss, came The Gregory Brothers.  They became somewhat of a youtube sensation a couple years ago with their "autotune the news".  Basically they took news clips and turned them into little songs.  I never thought the youtube videos were all that exciting, but it was entertaining to hear them in person.

And then of course the main act came out, Starkid.  They were phenomenal.  The whole show was very clearly well planned and it was fun to hear all of the songs from their different shows.  They were really funny as well.  Basically the whole show was great even though by the time I got home all I wanted to do was curl up into a ball and sleep for 3 days :)  Oh and of course we were surrounded on all sides by screaming fangirls with very high pitched voices.  I think I'm too old for concerts like this haha ^_^

And now for the pictures!


My VIP Badge 
Signed Poster!

Darren Criss's autograph....my life is now complete :)

At the concert

Darren Criss and Charlene Kaye

Darren Criss

The Gregory Brothers

Starkid!


Darren Criss came out and did one final song in the middle of the
Starkid part before he had to catch his flight back to LA

Their busdriver, Don, came out and did a song too randomly.
He sang a country song and he actually had a very beautiful voice.
And that was my awesome fun thanksgiving weekend with Stacey!

2 comments:

  1. Sweetie, I think you missed a word (well, two, but they're the same word) when describing Sunday. It should go between "an" and "awesome," but don't forget to remove the "n" from "an" because the word you've forgotten starts with a consonant. What is this word? You should know by now, but I'll tell you in case you read this comment while sleep-deprived (even that's not really a good excuse). Totally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the concert was definitely "Totally Awesome". I mean how could it not be when "Harry Freakin Potter" was there?

    ReplyDelete