Monday, June 13, 2011

Tony Update

First of all the Tonys were AWESOME this year!  Neil Patrick Harris makes an awesome host and this time was no different.  Many of my predictions were correct, and many were not but it was still a great show!  I thought in this post I'd share some of my favorite moments from last night.  At first I thought I'd also include the clips to all of the nominated musicals...but there are too many good moments and I don't want this post to be unbearably long, so I'll just share the highlights.

Starting off, Neil Patrick Harris was great.  He performed an opening number with several chorus members of the different nominated shows. He even got the audience involved! Brook Shields may be about to perform 8 shows a week in The Adams Family, but apparently she can't read a teleprompter :P



My next favorite Neil Patrick Harris moment was a bit between him and Hugh Jackman. Hugh Jackman has also hosted the Tonys before as well as won a Tony for his role in The Boy From Oz. So in the middle of the show the two ended up having a dance/sing/host off! It is all kinds of awesome.



As you may have noticed from my many posts about it. I really liked How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying and may have seen it a total of 3 times (You have to love rush tickets!). So no blog post about the Tonys would be complete without the clip from How To Succeed. It may have only won one Tony but it is still a fun musical to see and sing along to.



The musical that just about swept the board last night, winning 9 Tonys (it was nominated for 14) and taking home Best Musical was The Book of Mormon. I definitely want to see this show. It is also sold out until late August so I think it will be around for a while. For those that don't know, it is the brain child of the two South Park creators paired with the guy who wrote Avenue Q. So...don't go if you are easily offended. But, if you like South Park and you like musicals, you may just like this musical. I've listened to the songs online and they are pretty risque, but it seems like a very funny smart musical. So here is the song they performed at the Tonys called "I Believe"



The two plays that won quite a bit were War Horse and The Normal Heart, both of which I now want to see :) I may miss The Normal Heart though because I think it will close before I'll have a chance to see it, it was a limited run anyway. Sad, but that's how these things go sometimes.

Two more clips.

This show was not nominated for anything and I'm not really sure why they performed but it is just so much fun I thought I'd include their clip anyway. So here is "It's Raining Men" by the cast of Pricilla, Queen of the Desert.



And finally, Neil Patrick wraps up the whole show...with a rap of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment