Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Lots to do, lots to say, lots of pictures!

Side note before you read this:  I saw on the preview how funky the spacing is so sorry about that, I'm still learning how to use the layout for the blog)

So let's back up a few days and start with Monday:

The flight was pretty good besides being delayed for 2 hours and then because we were so late when we got to JFK they parked us out in the boonies and we had to take a bus shuttle to the actual terminal.  That would be have been fine if the bus had had any air on it.  But oh well, life's an adventure right?  Once we got to the hotel my mom and I found a little sports bar by the name of Blondies to have dinner and the food was actually pretty good. 

Tuesday:

We started Tuesday morning by going over to the bookstore so I could buy a few of my textbooks.  The three I ended up buying were "The Game Design Reader, A Rules of Play Anthology", "What Video Games Have to Teach Us About Learning and Literacy", and "Learning ActionScript 3.0"  There was one book they were out of and the rest of my classes either don't have books or the professors never turned in their order.  We'll see what happens on the first day of class!



After the bookstore we met up with my cousin Gabby who my mom and I haven't seen in probably 7 years or so.  We had a lot of fun chatting and catching up with her.

After a short rest, we met up again with Gabby and also her daughter Anya for the show "Promises, Promises" starring Sean Hayes and Kristen Chenowith.  This show was INCREDIBLE.  I loved every single moment of it!  I honestly have no idea how it could have been so snubbed by the Tony awards because it was hilarious, touching at times, and the singing and dancing was phenomenal.  I'm still reeling from the fact I saw these two performers live and in such a great show.  Also, who knew Sean Hayes could sing so well???








This is my cousin Anya.  She's 8, almost 9 and seriously the last time I saw her she was a baby so she's changed just a little bit! haha.  Here she's posing with a stuffed monkey my mom and I got her from the TC bookstore.














I don't seem to have a picture of Gabby, but here is me with Anya and my mother before we saw the show.









After the show we stopped off for a snack at this 50's themed diner called the Stardust Diner.  The fun thing about it was all of the waiters and waitresses are wannabe broadway stars so during your meal they sing showtunes!  I think they have to audition to get a job at this place.  Our waitress told us next week she has an audition for Wicked and apparently several of the servers have toured in national tours and been in the chorus on broadway or off broadway.  They actually all had very good voices.



Finally, we come to today, Wednesday:

Today was not as exciting as yesterday, but this morning my cousin drove us out to Jersey City to the giant Target where I could buy some of the essentials that were too big or too bulky to pack for the airplane (we may have left with a cartful of stuff)  But, now I pretty much have everything I need which is good.  That took up most of the morning but afterwards.....

We had lunch at this great Hungarian Restaurant.  It was awesome and the food was great!













It was also a bakery....
mmmmmmmmm.......














This was my lunch: Wienerschnitzel (that may be spelled wrong) and it was very very delicious.










Dessert was a slice of Dobos Tort.  For those who are unaware, it is one of my favorite Hungarian pastries and is basically kind of a chocolate layer cake with a hard caramel cookie on the top.









So lunch was delicious and now my mom and I are just resting.  I'm going to start working on getting my stuff packed up to head over to my apt on Friday.  Tomorrow morning will bring more adventures plus another show!


And for your amusement, while we were in the car Anya and I had fun with the photo effects on my phone, so here is one of the outcomes of said experiments.

2 comments:

  1. I love the details and the photos so keep them coming as much as you have time!

    ReplyDelete