Saturday, October 3, 2015
Spring Awakening
Last night Kari and I saw the new Broadway revival of Spring Awakening. This was an amazing performance first done in LA by the Deaf West theatre group. The entire production uses both spoken English and American Sign Language. It's really hard to explain, but the way in which the sign language was used in the show just heightened the experience.
There were both deaf and hearing actors including several that I already knew. Ali Stroker I knew from The Glee Project and she also was on an episode of Glee. A fun fact I learned last night is that she is also the first performer in a wheelchair to ever be on Broadway! Marlee Matlin is a very famous deaf actress, so that was fun to see. Andy Mientus has been on the TV show The Flash (as well as being in Les Miserables on Broadway). And Krysta Rodriguez I saw a couple years ago in the Broadway musical First Date.
I'm so glad I had a chance to see this limited run of an amazingly put together show!
Here's a trailer for the show:
And then here's some of the rehearsal:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment