Thursday, October 15, 2015
Dames at Sea
Last night I saw a new musical in previews called Dames at Sea! This is the show's Broadway debut, though it was off-off Broadway and then off-Broadway a while ago. Bernadette Peters was actually in one of the original productions.
The show was very strange and didn't have a great plot, but the tap dancing was terrific! It's kind of about a girl from Utah who wants to be on Broadway and ends up in a Broadway show but then there are sailors and they end up doing the show on the deck of the battleship in the second act. No, it doesn't make much more sense when you see it.
It's not a show I'll likely see again and I doubt it will last long on the great white way, but I had an enjoyable evening and laughed and like seeing the tap dancing.
Here's one of the tap numbers from the show! Though they aren't in costume and the costumes were also fun.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dames at Sea is meant to be a total camp of the Busby Berkeley era... all singing, all dancing spectacles. It has a small cast because it was in a small off Broadway theatre. I did a regional theatre production of Dames with the original choreographer, Don Price, directing. See the Wikipedia entry for info on why they wind up performing on a ship.
ReplyDelete