Yesterday Kari and I went on a New Jersey adventure. Why, you might ask? I decided it would be fun to see the new production of Ever After the musical (based on the movie with Drew Barrymore) that is playing at the Papermill Playhouse. This is the same theatre where Newsies got its start. I figured Ever After would make it to Broadway eventually, but this seemed like a fun way to see it ahead of time.
First of all, Papermill is such a cute little theatre. It's only about a 5 minute walk from the train station, it has a cute little backyard with patio tables and a koi pond next to a rushing brook. Very much your tranquil ideal setting for some peace. It even has these iron arches with different fairy tale characters on it.
The show itself was also pretty cute. I wouldn't say it's the most amazing musical I've ever seen and I do think it needs a little work and some tightening up before it could really make the Broadway leap but the potential is there. The songs were cute and they did keep some of the best lines from the movie. The cast, though, that was the best part. I had heard that Christine Ebersole was in it and she's a pretty big deal. I don't really think I know who she is all that much, but she definitely have an amazing voice. I was really excited when I got my playbill and realized that Charles Shaughnessy was in the show though! He plays the King and he was also Mr Sheffield in The Nanny! Andrew Keenan-Bolger, who starred in the original cast of Newsies, was also in the show. Even though I hadn't heard of the rest of the cast, they all had at least 1 Broadway credit under their belt. So all in all it was very impressive the caliber of talent they are able to get at this theatre. If there was another show that sounded fun I would without question make the trek again!
Here's a little video from the show.
And then lastly, on our way back to the train. We saw a groundhog!! I'm not sure I've ever seen one in real life before. It was just hanging out in its hole in the grass along the walkway. Not something you see in the city, that's for sure!



No comments:
Post a Comment