Sunday, May 11, 2014

Of Mice and Men in the time of Aladdin

Sometimes when it rains it pours, but in this case the rain drops are made of Broadway shows so I'm not complaining!



On Friday my coworker and I did the student rush for Of Mice and Men.  Surprisingly, I had never read the play before, but knowing it was a classic and knowing the cast, I really wanted to see it.  James Franco and Chris O'Dowd were both in the show, though the whole cast was wonderful.

Chris O'Dowd has been in a lot of BBC shows and he does one show I really love called Moone Boy that we're currently distributing on Hulu.  It's about an 11 year old boy in Ireland and his imaginary friend (who is a grown man with the most common name in Ireland, aka Chris O'Dowd).  It's really cute and my coworker and I kept singing the theme song, even though it doesn't quite match the tone of the play we were seeing.

Somehow I've made it this far in my life without knowing much about the show, so I was definitely surprised by everything that happened.  It's kind of a depressing play, though I was definitely expecting it to be so.  I enjoyed it immensely though!

Sadly, I've got no video for Of Mice and Men because none of the videos I could find really give you a sense of the show.  So you'll just have to take my word for it :)

Before the show we also wandered into the Tony Awards pop up shop.  I found lots of expensive things I wanted to buy, surprise surprise.



Then, yesterday I had walking adventures with my roommates.  We walked the entire length of the Highline and also just wandered around.  After our wandering adventures we put our names in for the lottery for Aladdin, and my name was the first name called!  So Monica and I went to see Aladdin, which was so much fun.















Aladdin was such a fun musical.  It was a tad different than the original animated movie but I can see why they made the changes that they did and it was just so full of joy that I couldn't have asked for anything more.  The entire cast was really great, but the genie definitely stole the show.

Oh, and our tickets ended up being in the first row!  So we were right up close to all the action.




I was able to find a good video for Aladdin so here it is for your viewing pleasure :)

No comments:

Post a Comment