Friday, April 18, 2014
Upright Citizens Brigade
Wednesday night I was able to experience my very first every show at the Upright Citizens Brigade! UCB is a comedy club where they do a lot of improv and sketch shows and they also hold classes. A lot of famous actors (particularly SNL alums) got their start performing at UCB so you never know who's going to show up.
In this particular case, my coworker knew there was a good show coming up so some of us from work went! The show is hosted by Mike Birbiglia (a comedian I've actually heard of!) He's generally a stand up comedian but I guess he likes to dabble in improv. The format of the show is he talks to the audience about their day, then might tell a short story of his own, and then his back up improvers and him improv a little scene that's related to whatever they were just talking about. The other fun surprise was that one of the improvers was Cristin Miloti! She was the actress who played the mother on How I Met your Mother as well as starring in the original broadway cast of Once.
We were even sitting in the front row so I could see everything and was inches away from the performers!
We then stayed to see another short 1/2 hour sketch show called Billy Joel, Sketches from an Italian Restaurant. It was a sketch show all based on the music of Billy Joel and was really funny and silly.
I've just realized it's much harder to write about improv than it is about a musical! Far less pictures and video exist :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment