Sunday, October 6, 2013

Bronx Bombers

This was originally going to be a post about the 2 shows I saw this week, but unfortunately I wasn't able to see the second show due to this terrible cold that crept up on me.

But before I talk about that, on with the show!


Seth's undergrad had an alumni event where he could get decently priced tickets to see a play called the Bronx Bombers and then also be a part of a Q&A afterwards so he asked if I wanted to go and, since I'm always up for a show, I said sure.  Thought to preface this situation, this is what Seth asked me "Hey, do you want to see a Broadway musical about the Yankees?" and I said sure, I love musicals.  Turns out, after doing some digging on the show it was not in fact a broadway musical, instead it is an off-broadway play.  It was still about the Yankees so he did get that part right.

Anyway, we went to see the show and it was actually pretty good.  The playwright has done a couple of other shows (Lombardi and Magic Bird).  I didn't see either of his other shows, but I know Lombardi at least made it to Broadway and did pretty well.  The theme of his work is definitely sports.  The play was fun and it was interesting to see the way they staged it, but I do I think I would have enjoyed it more had I known more about the history of the Yankees, or really about baseball in general.  The Q&A session at the end was interesting as well, it's always neat to hear the creators of a show talk about their experiences.  This one had the writer, one of the producers, and several of the actors.

Last night I was supposed to go with several friends to see Romeo & Juliet starring Orlando Bloom.  Unfortunately, Thursday night I came down with a terrible cold (I didn't go to work on Friday) and so opted out of going to the show.  As much as I wanted to see the show, I'm glad I didn't go as it was good to get some rest and while I'm still not feeling 100%, I'm definitely feeling better.  I'll see the show another time I'm sure.

And now I'm off to drink some tea and relax.  This cold is going down!

No comments:

Post a Comment