Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Cupcakes and Plays

This last weekend was fairly eventful actually.  It was the weekend of the big theatre booking conference so I was previewing a few shows for my dad that he might bring to his theatre.  Here are my reviews of the shows I saw:

5 Lesbians Eating A Quiche


This was a strange play.  It started out super cute and funny.  It was basically about a group of women in 1956 at their annual quiche breakfast.  It started out and they were being silly and overly proper...and then everything went downhill as soon as the atomic bomb hit.  Yes, you read that correctly.  Basically the atomic bomb goes off, all the women come clean about being lesbians (which wasn't surprising considering the title), but then one of the women is pregnant and there's talk about how the baby must be the one to repopulate the world (creepy), and then how he will never know the egg (because all the quiches are outside still) so one of the women decides that she will be heroic and go get the quiches from outside.  The door, meanwhile, can be opened once and only once.  So she goes out, comes back in, but then they accidentally let the door closed and she is trapped on the other side.  Everyone is sad and they stare at her out the window and apologize that she isn't going to make it and then the actress falls back and you stop seeing her face in the window...and then someone squeezes some kind of red gel-ish liquid at the window.  Yes...she exploded.  So...basically a very strange play that didn't end so amazingly.

King Kong Radio Theatre

This was basically watching a radio show.  It was pretty interesting.  The actors were very talented and their voices were very much radio voices.  Technically it was pretty cool too.  There was a smoke machine at various points and great (pre-recorded) orchestrations.  The only problem with this show, however, was that it was a little boring.  I think it just had to do with the fact that I'm not super into King Kong as a story and I felt it kind of dragged.  I think it would be interesting to see this same troupe perform a different story however.

Celebrity Autobiography

This was by far my favorite show of the weekend.  It's basically a show where actors (generally B-list celebrities) come up on stage and read various excerpts from other celebrities' autobiographies.  It was hysterical to say the least and the group of readers was a fun selections of celebrities I know including: Mario Cantone, Tony Danza (!), Rachel Dratch, Janeane Garofalo, and Alan Zweibel.  The dramatic readings were so funny and the way they grouped the readings made it that much more enjoyable.  I would definitely go see this show again, especially because depending on the performance the readers and what they are reading is different.

Also this weekend, Kari and I were bored so we decided to make rainbow cupcakes!  We took a funfetti cake mix and turned it different colors and layered the colors so the cupcakes were a rainbow!  It was a fun and tasty evening for sure :)







No comments:

Post a Comment