Tuesday, October 11, 2011

A Rhode Island Weekend

Yes I know, I should be working on my thesis.  This is what I plan to do starting after I finish this post ^_^ Oh well.  It'll get done, right?...right????

Anyhooserwhatsits,  last weekend I got to go with my friend to see where she grew up in Rhode Island!  It was such a fun and relaxing weekend and now that I'm back I feel rejuvenated and ready to work on my thesis.  (Why does it always seem to come back to my thesis?)

We arrived on the train on Friday morning and left Sunday night.  So it was a quick trip but we managed to cram some awesome adventures in there.  Friday was spent eating (my friend's mom is an awesome cook), visiting my friend's high school and college and going to the mall.  The weird thing about the mall...it's in Massachusetts.  That's right, the better mall is not in the same state!  Oh, the east coast.  Anyway, this mall was huge!  It had 3 floors!!!!!!  Some of you will understand why I am so excited by this.  Yes New York is awesome and I love it here but there's no real mall!  There's just something about a mall thats so amazing.  But I digress.

Part of my friend's high school.  Isn't it a pretty campus?

Inside her high school :)

Dunkin Donuts...the mecca of New England
Saturday we went to Plymouth to see the infamous Plymouth Rock.  It was...small.  Well, not as small as I actually thought it would be.  They also keep it in this vault type cage because people used to be able to chip parts off of it and it got smaller and smaller until they decided they needed to do something to keep it safe.  But as it looked like from my perspective, they clearly had to keep the rock caged up so that it wouldn't escape in the middle of the night and terrorize the villagers.  Plymouth itself is a really cute little beach town.  You can see a recreation of the Mayflower (we didn't go on it but we saw the outside) and there are tons of cute little gift shops.  We also walked on the original street that existed when the pilgrims were here and got a tour of their first church and also toured the court house.  The best part was that the weather was GORGEOUS!  That night we also got to go to a Portuguese restaurant, which was really yummy, but I forgot to take pictures so oh well.






The Mayflower II


Two little gift shops by the Mayflower


Where they keep Plymouth Rock

The Rock!


The rock inside its cage

Famous Pilgrim

My feet

Cool statue that also acts as a sundial

The church at the top of the hill

The old courthouse

They have it set up like it would have been set up when it was still a courthouse
(view from the back)

Courthouse view from the front

Looking down at the original Pilgrim street

Inside the church

The stained glass was really cool

It depicts historical events

There's a cemetery behind the church that has some of the oldest gravestones in the USA 


The oldest gravestone from 1681

View of where the rock is housed again


I just thought it was funny that this restaurant was called Al's
Basically the weekend was really awesome and it really was nice to get out of the city for a few days.  I do enjoy coming home to New York though :)

Dressed up to go to the Portuguese restaurant 
Hanging out before the train ride home

No comments:

Post a Comment