Monday, January 24, 2011

A couple things I missed

So I realized I missed talking about a few other things that I did in past couple of weeks.  They weren't a part of the conference exactly so I'll put them in here :)

On the first Friday that my parents were here we managed to get tickets to see a live taping of the Regis and Kelly talk show.  That was really fun.  It ended up being that that day Regis was on vacation so there was a guest co-host.  And that co host was....NEIL PATRICK HARRIS!  He is one of my favorite actors currently so both my mom and I were really excited to be able to see him close up.  We were definitely not disappointed either :)  Also, one of the guests on the show that day was Matt LeBlanc (of Friends fame).  He was promoting his new show called Episodes which is playing on Showtime.  I don't get that channel so I probably won't end up watching the show.  But it was kind of cool to see him.  It was a little bit strange though because I'm so used to seeing him as Joey (which of course was years and years ago) that when he walked out on stage I couldn't help but think he looked so old!  But oh well, I guess that's just one of those things that everybody does ^_^

When our friends from PA were visiting my mom and I went with them to the Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum.  This is a really cool museum.  I got in free with my Columbia ID (gotta love it!).  The whole museum is dedicated to design and designers of anything you could possibly imagine.  One of the designs I thought was really cool was this bicycle trailer that can be repositioned to be able to carry several different types of things (water, firewood, etc) and it was made with women in India in mind to help shave hours off of their everyday routine, leaving them more time to be with their families and to do other things.  The other item I really thought was cool was called the XOXO Laptop.  It is a laptop made entirely of touch screens and designed for kids around the world who don't have computers or books in their homes or schools.  So if you set it up like a laptop then a touch screen keyboard appears on the flat portion and you can use it as a computer.  If you lay it out flat then two kids can look at it at the same time as almost a large flat monitor.  If you hold it a different direction it can become a book like device.  There were tons and tons of items there, some were really cool, some seemed extremely pointless, but it was interesting to see all of the crazy things people can think up.

One of the showcases at the conference that I was really excited about seeing is an a capella group named The Blanks.  If you've ever watched the tv show Scrubs then you're probably familiar with the character of Ted (the lawyer I think?).  That actor who plays ted is the one 2nd from the left.  Anyway, on the show he has a band but that band exists in real life and they pair a capella music with comedy.  So I got to see about 15min or so of their performance and they were really amazing.  They were so funny and of course amazingly talented singers.  Plus it's always cool to be in the same room as someone you've seen on TV.

The day my parents left a bunch of my friends decided they wanted to head out to the MET Museum of Art so I tagged along.  I've never been before and wow, is that an amazing museum.  It's HUGE!  I don't even think we saw the entire thing.  I know we peeked at a couple of the newer exhibits, saw some of the famous pieces, and checked out the Egyptian ruins.  There is just so much to take in however.  I'm sure I'll be back again to see the things I missed.  I did get to see their exhibit on musical instruments which I found pretty cool, but then I like musical instruments ^_^

TC put on a comedy show the other night as well.  Several comedians performed.  For the most part they were pretty funny but I think it's always hit or miss with most comedians.

 Another showcase that was playing was "Almost Elton John".  As you can probably guess he is an Elton John persona performer.  He actually was quite good and as you can see in the picture, I also got to meet him :)  He looks pretty good, don't you think?  He sounded a lot like Elton John too and so it was fun hearing him perform and hearing so many songs that I like.  See, you never know what kind of shows are out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment