Sunday, September 20, 2015

A Hedwig Retrospective

5 Hedwigs, 2 Yitzhaks, 14 performances.



As you may be aware, I got vaguely obscessed with the show Hedwig and the Angry Inch. Yes, I saw it 14 times.  I saw it with 5 different actors playing Hedwig and 2 different actresses playing Yitzhak.  Most importantly, I have no regrets!

It's such a fun show in that it's a little different every show. So much of the show has to do with the interaction with the audience, plus the jokes were re-written with each new Hedwig actor.  I also found myself noticing different parts of the show with each watch. It really is a rich show to see and I'm very sad that it just closed!

Of the 6 actors who played Hedwig, I saw 5 of them (sorry Michael C. Hall! It's nothing personal!)

Neil Patrick Harris (1)
Andrew Rannells (1)
John Cameron Mitchell (1)
Darren Criss (8)
Taye Diggs (3)

My favorite Hedwig was probably John Cameron Mitchell, as he was definitely the funniest and put on an amazing show.  My favorite actor to play the character is, of course, Darren Criss, but I really enjoyed the different spin that each new person brought to the role.

Anyway, here goes: a Hedwig Retrospective...in pictures!













Fun fact about this picture: I didn't take it, but you can see
me in the 3rd row if you look carefully













The previous pictures are all specifically related to the show. But let's see how Hedwig ended up infiltrating my life in other ways.

First - the cake that Kari made me for my birthday


2nd - Going to see Tits of Clay, the real life band made up of the band
members of The Angry Inch, the band in Hedwig. Lots of special guests
showed up!












3rd - The one woman version of Hedwig I put on for
Kari's birthday. It had high production values.





Now I need a new show to obsess over.  Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment