Saturday night (before I got a cold and spent all day Sunday in bed) I saw a really awesome show!
The Last Five Years is a revival of an off broadway show from a few years ago. It's a 2 person cast, a guy and a girl, and tells the story of their failed marriage through song. The girl starts from the end working backwards and the guy starts from the beginning forwards. They meet in the middle where they have their only duet. Otherwise only one person is singing at a time and singing to someone who isn't there.
It's a little strange of a concept, but the way it played out was amazing. I had heard a lot of good things about it by Kari (who saw a production a while ago) and so I was pretty interested in seeing it as well. I have to say, this production was seriously amazing. Not only were the actors wonderful singers and talented at acting while they were singing, it also struck me that the sets and the lighting was amazingly done. First of all, the orchestra was in plain sight at the back of the stage. They were raised at different levels, which created a fun picture. The set pieces were fairly minimal, but rolled on and off the stage by themselves (ok, well presumably by some kind of rolling contraption on the floor). And the lighting really added to the different songs. Basically I was awe-struck the entire show and I can't say enough good things about the performance. I'm so glad I went!
This clip is from the two characters duet in the middle of the show:
And here's a little bit longer of a preview where you can see some of the interaction between the characters and the set and lighting:
My friend had me listed to the recording on our way back from Dothan over Christmas and I loved it!! Jealous you got to see it on stage!
ReplyDelete