Last weekend was President's Day Weekend and since it was a three day weekend Seth and I decided to have an adventure and decided it would be fun to go to Philadelphia. It only takes 2 hours on the bus to get there from NYC. Surprisingly I've never actually been there and I was excited to do all of the touristy things and see museums and the liberty bell. I feel like we saw everything I really wanted to see. I'll try to break it up by day and we'll see how well I do in remembering everything we did.
Saturday
We got to Philly a little bit after 12, found the hotel (which was only like 3 blocks from the bus station). We couldn't check in yet but we were able to leave our bags and then wander the city for a bit. We met up with the Iodices (close family friends from Colorado) and they gave us the insider's tour of Philly! It was so much fun :) We had Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches (my first one ever!) They were really tasty, but I don't want to even think about what is on that thing. Here's a clue...the cheese is called "Whiz" and comes in a can. After that we basically did a huge driving tour of the city. We saw the Poe house, we went by the penitentiary, we got pastries at this Italian bakery, we drove by U Penn and Drexel in University City, we stopped at the art museum and ran up the Rocky steps, we drove up Camden, NJ and saw the skyline from the other side of the river, and probably other things I'm not even remembering at the moment.
 |
| Pastries! |
 |
| I liked seeing all of the empty cannoli shells - the fill them fresh to order |
 |
| At the Penitentiary |
 |
| Outside of the Poe house |
 |
| Running up the Rocky Steps 1 |
 |
| Running up the Rocky Steps 2 |
 |
| Running up the Rocky Steps 3! |
 |
I thought this sign was really cool! I never knew this was the start of Girl Scout Cookies! |
Sunday
Sunday was our historical day so we started by going to take the tour of Independence Hall and saw the Liberty Bell. It was really really cold but we still walked around and braved the weather. We also went to the Constitution Center, they had a prohibition exhibit which was pretty interesting. And then in the evening we saw the Comcast building which has this really awesome video screen in the lobby that was pretty mesmerizing. We also went to Macys and saw the big organ they have there.
 |
| Outside Independence Hall |
 |
| This is where they signed the declaration of independence |
 |
| The Liberty Bell! |
 |
| This was for the prohibition exhibit |
 |
| Sitting at the prohibition bar |
 |
| I thought the hall with all the state flags was pretty nice |
 |
The outside of the Comcast Building It's the tallest building in Philly |
 |
| The video screen in the Comcast building |
 |
| There was also these statues in the building |
 |
| Inside the Macys building |
Monday
On Monday we went to the Franklin Institute and saw the Titanic exhibit they had. It was cool as well. We also walked around and there was this park with giant game pieces so of course we had to stop and take pictures.
 |
| This is my favorite Shakespeare quote |
And that, in a nutshell, was my weekend in Philly!!
No comments:
Post a Comment