I know what you're thinking....me?....go see a lot of shows all in one weekend? That is so not like me! (Please note the dripping sarcasm).
Haha, so anyway the tail end of my Spring Break was spent hanging out with friends, finishing my flash midterm, and seeing several very awesome shows. The first of which was....
American Idiot! This is a show made up entirely of songs from the band Green Day. It is definitely a rock concert type of musical. The show was really interesting in that the set and the way they staged the show was pretty cool. They had a lot of TVs all around the stage that had various images on them and they made use of flying harnesses during several songs. The show is 90minutes with no intermission...which is probably good because I don't think I could have taken more than that. Basically I enjoyed the show, I'm glad I saw it, but I don't have a need to see it a second time.
***WARNING****AMERICAN IDIOT VIDEO HAS ONE USE OF THE F WORD AND CERTAIN THEMES MAY BE UNSUITABLE FOR CHILDREN*******
So I went from seeing the rock show that is American Idiot on Saturday night to swinging the completely opposite direction and on Sunday I saw the Shakespeare play MacBeth.
MacBeth, or The Bard's Tale, or The Scottish Play, is a play I've never read or seen or really interacted with that much. The only version I've ever seen was MacHomer that came to the Elsinore a few years ago. It was basically the entire play of MacBeth but in Simpson's voices. But anyway, this was an amazing production of the show. The cast were amazing and it was a very traditional take on the story. My friend had read it for her teaching Shakespeare class so she told me the plot on the way down to the theatre. It is kind of funny...I think watching Shakespeare is one of the only times when you want to know the spoilers of what happens before you see it.
Now the next show didn't happen until Tuesday night but I still consider that as part of the weekend because I don't have classes on Mondays. On Tuesday I saw Wonderland.
It was the 2nd night of previews for this new musical based on Alice in Wonderland. Basically it's about this middle aged woman who's going through a divorce and living in NYC. She takes the service elevator to the bottom of her apartment building and ends up in Wonderland full of familiar characters. It was really good. They had a couple of problems with mic issues and they didn't seem completely comfortable with the timing of the show, but I think considering it was only their 2nd performance they did quite well. I think after they get everything figured out, which I think they will before opening night, they will definitely be in the running for the Tonys. It was a really cute show and the vocals were awesome. Especially the girl who played Alice's daughter Chloe. She had an amazing voice and stage presence. Also I really liked the soundtrack for this show and I can't wait until they come out with the CD for it!



No comments:
Post a Comment